Start weightlifting in just 720 days
Here’s how I got started with weightlifting in just 2 years ;) As I write this, it’s been a little over a year, and I still enjoy it a lot.
Please watch this 55 second video to get in the mood!
Step by Step
- I watched tons of videos on the Starting Strength YouTube channel
- Did my own non-weightlifting workouts at home, and felt a bit better, but still felt that my body and strength overall were on a slow decline
- Went to the climbing gym regularly, but not enough
- Started a new job where I felt I was ready to invest in my physical growth
- Went to the gym with my friend Devin Finzer who showed me around and helped me feel more comfortable there, and signed up
- Continued going every M W F in the morning, and made sure I slept early the night before
Why do I like weight lifting?
- You feel great when you leave the gym
- It takes <30 minutes for a workout when you first start, if the gym isn’t busy
- You start feeling the results and back strength and seeing new muscles within a month (at least for me)
- Lifting is proven and sustainable long term—you can start no matter your age with just a modified program
“What do I do? Where can I find form videos?”
Here is the program: http://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
Form videos, check 'em out:
Low bar squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM
Overhead press https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI
Deadlift (don't round your back!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBiC_tnjOc
Very detailed: The Deadlift Teaching Method with Niki Sims https://youtu.be/BOfdUFenqws
Other super interesting videos
Doing the program and losing weight with Crysal Riner | Starting Strength Podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwdyKMLfEfw
Video of woman who used to weigh a lot but is very fit now. She is now more fit than her identical sister, who weighs less than her but whose clothes are way larger.
Strength Training and Pregnancy with Inna Koppel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvfbalATkI
- Less time in labor
- Higher birth weight
- Back up on your feet after labor much more quickly
Your bones will thank you when you successfully get out of your rocking chair to pick up three of your grandchildren at the same time!
You’ve got this, I believe in you!
Email me ✉️